HTC Desire HD users were feeling dejected as all thanks to the HTC for not bringing any firmware upgrades, but the time has changed and now full credits to the XDA developers for coming out with an all new custom ROM firmware which has roped in the latest ICS firmware which is dubbed as Blackout ICS. This firmware is based on the Incredible S and it requires you to fully wipe the device before applying this update. Also, be informed that this is not an Official firmware upgrade by HTC but a custom ROM firmware. Over a period of time we saw various custom ROMs for Desire HD which you can check the same in the corresponding link. This update comes with the latest Sense 3.6 and ICS 4.0.4 firmware build.
Before applying this update, you will have to make sure that the device is rooted, to check on whether the device is rooted or not, download “Root Checker” app from the Google PLAY Store to check the same. The best part of this custom ROM firmware is that as per the developer it’s 100% stable and doesn’t have any bugs, but if at all there are any then you can report the same in the comments section below. Over a period of this article we will be checking out on what are the changelogs of this firmware version, detailed pre requisites and then the detailed guide on how to apply this firmware update. Full credits to the XDA developer QD2DC for coming out with this release.
- Rebase to Incredible S 4.10.405.1 (Android 4.0.4)
- Camera fixed AND Recording 480p and 720P WITH audio
- Camera – Removed Stereo Recording and Front Facing Cam/Mirror App
- Blackout BeastMode Kernel V1.0
- New OC Values
- Re-Wrote Tweaks App
- Few new tweaks add (more to be added ota style )
- Exclusive Blackout Skin v1.0 with Sense 4.0 Style Clock Widget (default)
Procedure to Update HTC Desire HD with the ICS Blackout Custom ROM Firmware:
- Download the Blackout ICS Custom ROM firmware package from here to your computer. Once downloaded, connect your device to the computer with the help of original USB cable and place the zip file in your device. Ensure that you haven’t placed the zip file deep into the device.
- Disconnect the device from the computer and turn Off the device so that it can be entered in the recovery mode.
- The recovery mode in HTC DESIRE HD can be entered by pressing the Volume Down button + Power Button till you see the recovery mode screen on your phone.
- Once the recovery mode is entered, you need to select “install zip from sd card” > “choose zip from sd card” and then select the Blackout ICS Custom ROM firmware package which you have placed in the phone. As soon as you select the file, it will take up to 5 minutes to apply the same.
- Once the update is applied successfully, the device will then be rebooted and there you go you will then have to head over to the path “Settings > About Phone” to check on whether the device is updated or not. It will take around 3 -4 minutes on the HTC Logo since it’s the first reboot after the firmware application process.
- In the About Phone section you will see that the ICS 4.0.4 will be mentioned, if there is nothing like 4.0.4 then that means the update is not applied and you will have to follow the above procedure again.
- Congratulations, you have now successfully applied the update of ICS 4.0.4 firmware in your HTC Desire HD device.